Thursday, December 11, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
- Average age of an engineer at NASA when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon in 1969 – 26. This means on average, they were 16 when Sputnik was launched.
- The Sun occupies what percentage of the total mass of the Solar System? 99.9%
- If the Sun was scaled down to 1/100th of an inch in diameter, how far away would Alpha Centauri be? – 4.5 miles.
Number of people who were killed by terrorists on 9/11/2001 – 3000.
- Number of people who died in auto accidents the following year who were driving specifically because they chose not to fly – 1595.
- Percentage of cancer cases caused by natural or man-made pollutants – 2%. Most cases are from smoking.
- An American student is 75 times more likely to be killed off campus than on campus.
- Number of people killed by the Ebola virus outbreak in the Congo in the early 90’s – 255.
- Number of people killed in the1998 civil war in the Congo – 2.9 million.